Welcome to Year 3!
Year 3 is a fun but equally important year for our pupils. This stage marks the beginning of Key Stage 2. The teachers aim to ensure that all children are challenged to reach their full potential through a stimulating, wide-ranging and fun curriculum.
The Year 3 Teaching Team for the 2018-2019 Academic Year includes Mrs Machingauta (Year Leader), Mr Gaute, Miss Bowater, Mrs Contreras, Mrs Saroay and Mr Southwell.
The Teaching Assistants that support Year 3 are Mrs Ward and Mrs Razaq.
Our Half Termly Themes are as follows:
|Term 1||Term 2|
|Autumn||The Natural World||Early Britain|
|Spring||The Romans||Around the World|
In Year 3, we follow a creative, book led approach to Literacy and encourage the children to explore their ideas through lots of speaking, listening and drama activities. Over the year we will cover a wide range of fiction and non- fiction text types.
Reading is a vital skill that will support your child throughout his/her life. For this reason, daily reading is necessary to ensure that fluency and accuracy develops, whilst fostering a love for reading and books. In school, Guided reading will continue on a daily basis in Year 3. Your child will be coming home with a reading book and a diary/planner. We kindly request that you record your child’s daily reading in their diary/planner and both reading book and diary/planner need to be brought into school on a daily basis.
In Year 3 there is a focus on children memorizing their 2,5,10,3, 4 and 8 times tables. Please help your children with daily practice.
The topics covered in Maths are as follows:
- Number – number and place value
- Number – addition and subtraction
- Number – fractions
- Geometry – properties of shapes
Topics covered are:
- Animals, including Humans
- Forces and Magnets
Please make sure your child has a suitable, named P.E kit in school on a Thursday. The kit needs to consist of a white T-shirt or a house colour, black or dark shorts and trainers.
- Please make sure your child brings their diary/planner into school every day.
- Daily reading – please record pages read in diary/planner.
- Spelling list to learn – this will go out on Friday and the test will be the following Friday.
- Mathletics – on line programme – individual log in details inside planner, which have changed this year.
- A Literacy, Maths, Geography or History task is sent home on a Friday and due back the following Thursday
If you have any questions or concerns, please, in the first instance approach your child’s class teacher. If they are unable to help, Mrs. Machingauta is available as Year leader, or in her absence Miss Mijatovich is available by appointment.
Thank you for your ongoing support.
The Year 3 Team