Welcome to Year 4!
By the time children reach Year 4 they have fully settled into KS2 at Priory. We aim to focus on developing the children’s independence towards their attitude to school work and encourage them to start being more responsible for their own learning.
This years’ Year 4 teachers are;
- Mrs Toland (Miss Barrett) – Year Leader
- Mrs Bowser – Class Teacher
- Miss Lake – Class Teacher
- Mrs Keys – Class Teacher
Mrs. Jefcut is the Deputy Head for Key Stage 2.
During the year, the children experience a range of exciting trips and work with some creative partners to enhance their learning.
Daily lessons include Guided Reading, English and Maths.
Weekly lessons include Science, French, ICT, Music, PE and the Creative Learning Curriculum (History, Geography, R.E and Art).
During Y4, the following topics are studied:
- Autumn 1 – Hinduism
- Autumn 2 – Vikings and Anglo-Saxons
- Spring 1 – Imaginary Worlds
- Spring 2 – ‘The Iron Man’ by Ted Hughes
- Summer 1 – The Egyptians
- Summer 2 – Whole School Project
- Please make sure your child brings their planner into school every day.
- Daily reading – please record pages read in planner.
- Spelling list to learn
- The maths homework will be set weekly online on Mathletics. If your child cannot get access to a computer at home, please let your teacher know so we can arrange for time in school to be made available to do so.
- Literacy Task due in on Thursdays
- Continual practise of the times tables up to 12 x 12.
- Please make sure your child has a suitable, named P.E kit in school on a Friday. The kit needs to consist of a white T-shirt or a house colour, black or dark shorts or trainers; plimsolls are not really suitable for outside wear. Track suits or a warm top needed for colder weather.
- All children need a named water bottle to keep in the classroom.
- Donated boxes of tissues are very welcome and will be used by your child’s class.
- Reading books will be changed by the children themselves on a regular basis, they will read in a guided reading group with the class teacher once a week.
If you have any questions or concerns, please, in the first instance approach your child’s class teacher. If they are unable to help, Mrs. Toland is available as Year leader, or in her absence Mrs. Jefcut is available by appointment. We will be using the homework diary as a communication tool with parents as well, so please ask your child to see it each week
Thank you for your ongoing support,
The Year 4 Team